Monday, April 13, 2009

Ruffles

I stopped by our little local nursery (one of my favorite photo trolling spots) the other day to see what was in stock and if anything was blooming. As I went into the main greenhouse, one of the guys who works there saw me and said, "Oh! It must be photography season!" (blush) He then proceeded to show me what was in bloom and tell me what was coming...I love a small town for just that reason; there's just that personal connection.

The ranunculi (would that be the plural of ranunculus?) were pretty much past their prime. But, I really like this blowsy, full open stage. They look like heavily ruffled skirts and petticoats. This red/yellow variety was really gorgeous.

And this is a Star magnolia--I just love the delicate shredded petals. It blooms earlier than the standard magnolias around here.

18 comments:

  1. I LOVE the ruffles flowers! I had some of those last year, I need to find them again. :)

    That star flower is beautiful, I love your composition and how the unopened one is in the frame too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ranunculi are gorgeous! I love the handpainted red streaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to believe anything is past its prime already. We still have a little snow on the ground. These are beautiful, Pat. Love the composition and colors. I still haven't had the guts to haul my camera to a nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so pretty and colorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first one looks like a pettiskirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the star magnolia - several are blooming in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love all the colors and layers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous, Pat!! I love the "ruffles" of the first flower. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I love love the yellow flowers!! (sorry, can't spell their name!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a whole new appreciation for flowers just from your blog!! These are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so pretty! I like the 2nd one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Pat! I have some Ranunculas in the plant boxes on my porch, but haven't tried to photograph them. You did a great job with them. The magnolia is superb! Love how white they are, without being blown out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all just glorious, Pat. You are soo lucky to live near such a friendly nursery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colors are simply amazing. I love the DOF on the last shot, and the way the white comes through the dark background. I don't know how you get such amazing color Pat, but it seems like something you really have a knack for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The color of that first flower is amazing! Never seen one like it! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are GORGEOUS- love all those ruffles of the ranniculi (sp?). And the "sunny" colors of the petals! I've never seen a star magnolia either, it is so soft and delicate looking!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Peanut Gallery are welcome!