Saturday, July 25, 2009

Public Art; or Don't Make Fun of Sidewalk Chalk

Every year during SeaFair there is a wonderful Art Show in Bellevue. There is a huge juried portion full of exquisite paintings, photos, jewelry, sculpture, woodwork, textiles, leatherwork, etc.; another section "one step down" of very good artists; and then a kitschy little street fair that is more of a craft fair than an art show. Um, yeah.

I look forward to this guy every year. He sets up in front of the Art museum, and reproduces a famous painting. This year his choice was "Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat (also known as the painting done with all the tiny little dots--ie pointillism). He has a picture of the painting in a vinyl sleeve on the ground near him, and has sketched out the painting on the sidewalk in white chalk. He then spends his time "coloring in" everything, using his fingertips for shading, and wearing knees pads to protect his knees. The street alongside the Art Museum is closed off and set up for kids to "chalk it up"; it is so much fun to watch the little kids watch him, and then run and grab some chalk and get to work. I so wanted to get some photos of the kids, but didn't want to look like a weirdo stalker woman, and get beat up by protective parents.

So, if your kids like to doodle with sidewalk chalk, don't discourage them!! Look what it could turn into!!















8 comments:

  1. Sidewalk chalk artists amaze me! All that incredible work gone in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, I see why you look forward to this every year! I so wish I lived near where they did something like this. I even tried offering a neighbor boy some chalk, hoping he'd do something drawing and I could photogaph it. He politely told me that he didn't like chalk.I'm glad you decided not to get beat up by protective parents, because it my interfere with your shutter finger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That takes a lot of skill and patience! I like the Seurat painting, so I'd love the chalk version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat that is WONDERFUL! What a TREAT to watch him make it. That is one of C's favorite pieces of art, mainly due to the show based on the painting. I have a photo of him in front of it at the Art Institute in Chicago. One of the few times he insisted on me taking a picture of him :)

    I am so jealous you made it to the art fair. Was R able to go with you? B and I had been planning for months to go on Friday, then Monday morning he had to quickly fly out to the east coast for the week. Maybe next year....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow - that is impressive. What a wonderful experience for the old and young - and a new appreciation for sidewalk chalk. (reminds me of Mary Poppins in the park)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Very neat that you were able to watch (and capture) him creating his art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very cool and such talent! I've been to a couple of these, around here (and in Tahoe) they call it Italian sidewalk painting. My mom's friend does it and at the end of the festival they take hoses and spray it all away, I can't even imagine!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Peanut Gallery are welcome!