Thursday, July 23, 2009

Garden pests--disguising themselves as yard ornaments...

Just one of the plethora of rabbits that have over-run the yard this year. There is one cute little furry varmint who insists on hiding out under one of my daylilies. I'm ok with that as long as he doesn't nibble on his hideaway. Hoping the coyote population picks up again next year, though.
However! This little lady had the gall to settle herself on one of my berms as if she is a yard ornament. I carefully took a photo through the window, and then went out on the deck to scare her away. I shooed. I yelled. I hollered. I waved my arms, jumped around, stomped my feet. She blinked her eyes. If deer could roll their eyes, I'm sure she would have done that. (If I had knows she was that blase about humans, I would've taken her photo from the yard, not from inside the house!) Then I resorted to the last measure...the air rifle. Me and the trusty BB gun. Only took me about 6 shots to finally land one on her flank. She was so nervous and worried about it she didn't move during the entire time--until I finally landed the Lucky Shot. She hasn't been back since, and my hosta and daylilies and the rest of my garden don't miss her at all!!!

15 comments:

  1. We've got little bunnies all over the place here too. My dog likes to kill them and then show her love by placing them at my feet. Ugh. Love the deer, I cracked up about her rolling her eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunnies and deer are nature's cruel joke - so sweet and innocent looking and yet they can totally destroy a garden (or flower bed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, no matter how much of my garden they ate, I still think I would have a hard time shooing these little sweeties away. Nicki is right, bunnies and deer ARE nature's cruel joke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I would get tired of seeing them if they messed up my yard, but mostly I'd just be excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Beth, I would be so excited to see a bunny or deer in my yard! Maybe just maybe they would eat the dandelions and fireweed that are infesting the back yard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'll make sure I don't turn into your stalker. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful creatures! (But yes, only when they sit and watch--when they start being destructive, not so cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You stalking the deer, that would have been really something to see! Couldn't you at least set up a tripod, and use a remote shutter to catch a self-portrait of THAT for us! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I won't go playing in your garden!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry they are such pests because they are cute and they make for such pretty photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice captures! Do they make for some pretty photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome captures! I would love to have rabbits in my garden! I hope he didn't nibble on to much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots, it looks like you live in a fairy tale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww they are so beautiful, I would love to see a deer in my yard. But they sure are pesky little creatures too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Peanut Gallery are welcome!