Friday, June 5, 2009

"Someone told me it's all happening at the zoo."

"I do believe it. I do believe it's true!"

ML and I went over to the zoo today...the weather cooperated and was 30 degrees cooler than yesterday, plus pleasantly overcast. Perfect.

Spectacled owl--one of my favorites
I think this is his glamour pose
Peregrine Falcon--even holding still, it looks fast

WARNING: Whine ahead: Although the weather was perfect, not so perfect were the 12 (we counted) bus loads of extremely overactive and noisy school kids. I did make a large mental note to NEVER come to the zoo again this close to the end of the school year, when all the teachers want to do is get those kids out of the classroom and on someone else's nerves... It made what should have been a pleasant outing into an endurance test, exacerbated by my still unsteady legs and shooting skills. (another note to self--you are probably going to need a monopod...) It's not that I don't like kids, I just don't like Kids Running Wild...at Full Volume
But, kids aside, it was a great day--I got some good shots, the weather was perfect, and ML and I were on the same energy level, wearing out at just about the same instant.
So, you will probably be seeing some zoo shots for the next few days. I guess it is my retro post for Animals week... LOL!!

13 comments:

  1. Sorry the kids were so bothersome. Shame on the chaperones for not keeping them in line! Cool falcon shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the glamour" shot. I hear you on the unruly unsupervised kids that is really uncool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I haven't talked to you in a while, but I am so glad you are feeling better! Hope you're gaining strength day by day. I'm glad to see you posting your beautiful photos again.
    (We dealt with unruly school kids at the Statue of Liberty recently, and I'm with you! It was fun watching the park ranger yell at them though.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame you. I don't like going on the field trips either, the kids are crazy! Lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, esp that falcon! I hear you on the kids running wild thing - they know the end of school is near and that doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my gosh, Pat. That falcon shot is perfection. Wow-these are all awesome. I'm not a fan of field trips, either-and I have 2 that are school age, and one coming up, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love owls! Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these, especially the falcon. And I don't blame you on the kid thing, once I went to the zoo not realizing it was one of their free days and I wanted to crawl up in a ball and cry. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That falcon shot is cool! Man, sorry you were at the end of your rope with the kids though. What a bummer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat - beautiful beautiful shots! So love going to the zoo! We went early in the morning and had time to walk for about an hour before a bus came! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes, I am totally with you on the kids thing- I love kids, but get them together in big, loud, wild groups and I can't handle it! You got great shots of the owl and falcon regardless, and I can't wait to see more! I need to go to the zoo sans-kids sometime, I spend most of my time worrying about where my kids are... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite is the glamour shot! I understand what you're saying about the wild kids, they drive me insane. My girls notice too and ask me why some parents don't control their children...I think when other kids notice, there's a problem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Naaah. . . when I want to see "wild-life", I'm thinking "serene park," not cotton-candy munching shriekers. And I don't like if anyone is zooming about, close to stepping on my toes. So, whine away!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Peanut Gallery are welcome!